apple of my eye sidebar infertility Pictures, Images and Photos

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Information Overload

So my husband & I attended the IVF orientation and it was extremely informative and helpful.  We were given a huge packet of information and there were 4 different speakers, including the doctor.  It definitely helped us to understand since they walked everyone through the process and answered questions-and by everyone I do mean the auditorium had multiple couples and individuals attending to learn what comes next regarding IVF.  As I looked around the room, I was amazed to see so many young couples.  It seemed, all, no matter who, was so afraid to make eye contact.  And I understood and will continue to understand. 

So we learned about the process, the drugs and injections, the cost, the amount of time.  THE COST

I knew that it was going to be expensive, but seeing it on paper really puts things into perspective.  And is scary to think about all of the investment if it doesn't work.

THE INJECTIONS.  Not too many side effects covered in the discussion so I will need to do some more research.  One in particular stands out because it is derived from the urine of pregnant women-REALLY? I'm going to be putting that into my body-how can that be good?  ~KEEP THE END RESULT IN SIGHT~

THE TIME.  Visits for testing, testing, oh and more testing, every day, every other day.  Sure for someone who doesn't work maybe or whose employer is really understanding.  (Which I have this question that is gnawing at me, mostly due to my profession, but since Infertility is not yet recognized as a disease in the health care world, is it recognized as a serious health care condition under the FMLA?  Could these appointments be covered and therefore job protection would possibly exist?  Another blog topic I suppose)

We both left there feeling positive, talking about what we thought the next step should be and when on our 1 1/2 drive home. 

And the next day I remembered something and reminded my husband.  Contrary to what I may have written previously, we do still have one more option worth mentioning for the chance to have a biological family.  How could I have forgotten this special gift for even 1 second?  My wonderful, loving sister-in-law recently offered to be a gestational carrier if we ever get to that point.  I can not even describe the overwhelming feelings that came over me when she offered such a selfless thing.  Now we both know we don't know if it is possible due to finances, her job, etc., but just the simple fact that she and her husband even discussed it and considered it, let alone offered it, is the most amazing thing anyone could do.  We can't thank her enough.  So I reminded hubby of that & he said "I know, I realized it yesterday", with a slight smile on his face.  HOPE


To those couples and individuals in that room on Monday-we may all be in different phases of our journey and have different stories to tell, but in the end, we are all hoping for the same end result.  Keep the faith, the hope, whatever it is that keeps you going.  It can happen in one way or another. 

"Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
- Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment